Here are 5 sports snippets from some of the biggest headlines in sport from the last 2 weeks.
- Bangladesh helps bundles England out of the Cricket World Cup. The World Cup is a tournament, in any sport, which is subject to upsets at times by smaller or lesser-ranked nations. We’ve seen in many Football World Cups, upsets which shock high ranked teams. Now, in the circumstances of this Cricket World Cup, we’ve seen that Bangladesh is far from an easy beat, and they have played consistently well throughout the tournament. It is not the outcome of the match which is so dismantling for England fans, but rather the resulting consequences, exiting the World Cup without reaching the group stage. This caps off a poor start to the year for the England team, and both the captain, Eoin Morgan, and the coach Peter Moores, will be feeling the pressure for their spots when they return back home.
- Tigers beat Gold Coast in 1 point thriller. The 1st round of the NRL kicked off last Thursday, and every fan was eager to see what each of their respective teams had to offer. Anything can happen in the first round, and much of the excitement circulated around the nail-biting 19-18 win the West Tigers had over the Gold Coast Titans. The result was expected by most, although maybe not in that fashion, or by that margin. The scores were locked at 18-all, before a late Pat Richards field goal gave the Tigers the lead, seconds out from full time.
- Hayne signs NFL deal with San Francisco. After what seemed like an eternity, the decision was finally announced last week that Jarryd Hayne would join the NFL with a deal the San Francisco 49ers. This is a bold and exciting move for Hayne, who was also linked to deals with the Detroit Lions, and the Seattle Seahawks. The 49ers offensive line-up struggled at times last season, and it will be interesting to see if Hayne can have an impact and rejuvenate some form into the offensive setup.
- Manchester United striker Falcao dropped to youth team. It was the transfer the excited the football world. United fans would’ve been licking their lips at the prospect of Falcao joining their club, optimistic that he could bring some form into an inconsistent playing environment. But this has been far from the case. He has only scored 4 goals in 12 starting appearances for the club, and of those goals, 3 were against teams that are now currently in the bottom half of the Premier League ladder. Now to make matters even worse for Falcao, he has been relegated to Manchester United’s U/21 side, of which clubs are allowed 3 players over the age of 21. It now seems unlikely that Falcao, who is on 300,000 pounds a week at United, will be offered a new contract at for next season. There’s also no doubt many clubs around Europe will be restrained to show interest in the 28 year old, who is somewhat a glimmer of his older self.
- 3 French sporting stars killed in helicopter crash in Argentina. People all over France have been mourning after a helicopter, carrying sports stars filming for a reality tv show, collided with a nearby helicopter and plummeted to the ground. Among the passengers were Florence Arthaud, regarding as one of the worlds best sailors, Camille Muffat, a gold medallist in the 200m freestyle at Beijing, and Alexis Vastine, who won a bronze medal in Beijing in the light-welterweight division of boxing. There were ten bodies in total found at the scene, with police confirming that there were 8 French nationals and 2 Argentinian nationals on board the flight. The programme, ‘Dropped’, has been cancelled following these disastrous circumstances.